Monday, July 21, 2008

Welcome & Introduction

Hello and welcome to my new blog. I'm a Flying Scot sailboat with the sail number 5074. Often I'm simply referred to as FS5075. I will take this space to tell you my stories and adventures that I share with my crew and helmsman. The first part of my life is a bit vague but I'll try to fill in as much as I remember and hopefully do a little better in the future.

If you don't know the Flying Scot sailboat you might be interested that my oldest sibling was born in the spring of 1957. Gordon (Sandy) Douglass designed and created us until he retired. Being a One Design boat means that we haven't changed much. The goal of one design boats is to make it fair for all boats so that everybody has equal chance of winning no matter how old one is. This means that a sibling with a rich owner can't give him any more advantage than one that hasn't as much money. It's not technology but skills that count. Of course that means you better find a good helmsman and crew if you want to win or you have to work hard on teaching them to become better. Not always an easy task.

I now have nearly 6,000 siblings and we try to keep in touch through the Flying Scot Sailing Association (FSSA). They also organize cool events like the North American Championship (NAC), the largest regatta for us, and the Wife-Husband Championship regatta where the crew and helmsman have to be the wife and husband.

Asides from the FSSA website you can also check out the wikipedia entry and the Flying Scot Inc. website, our nursery and spa where we can renew ourselves. All of those pages have good information about myself and my siblings and they will provide you with a better idea of who we are, how easy going we are and how much fun we can be.

Next time I'll tell you a little bit about my birth. There are even several cool photos of me that I can share.

(BTW, a helmsman is just the person steering the boat and she also can be a woman.)

No comments: